What our clients have to say...

UK Probate Advice Wills and Probate: Documents and information needed when someone dies

House Clearance Help & Advice: Documents and information needed when someone dies
Back to Help & Advice index

If a loved one dies and has left a will then the named executor will deal with the estate of the deceased, if there is no will then the administrator will be left to deal with the financial aspects of the deceased. The administrator will normally be the persons closest relative such as husband, wife, daughter or son and it will be their responsibility to make sure that financial matters are taken care of along with funeral expenses.

If you have been left to deal with theses matters then it can be helpful to know if your loved one had a solicitor or accountant. If so then either would possibly be able to help you organise your loved ones estate. Usually in order for you to deal with the affairs of your loved one you will have to apply for a grant of probate or letter of administration from the probate registry. Probate is simply a term used when someone is going to be dealing with the estate of a loved one.

Under law you will have one year from the date that the person dies in which to deal with the financial matters of the estate before it is distributed. If you haven’t dealt with things accordingly before this time, then you could be liable to pay interest on any assets which haven’t been distributed.

One thing to remember is that any bills such as outstanding mortgage balance, rent, credit cards, tax and insurance need to be paid before the estate can be divided.

Essential documents that you will need

In order to deal with your loved ones estate and finances there will be several important documents and information which you will need to be able to complete the task, these are outlined below.

The tax and national insurance documents

Any bank, building society savings accounts or ISA certificates

Any shares, stock or bond information

Any private or state pension policies

Information on any state benefits the deceased was claiming

Any insurance policies such as life, car and home

Any utility or other unpaid bills

Any deeds to property which the deceased owned

Documents belonging to any mortgage that was being paid

Any credit card, store or catalogue repayments that were being made

Any loan repayments or similar formal debts that are outstanding

If your loved one was self-employed or had a partnership in a business then you will need to get in touch with the necessary people and also gather together any necessary documentation.

Under normal circumstances only the executor or the administrator of the deceased will be able to get access to money left by the deceased, in order for you to do this you will have to provide the necessary documentation.

As executor or administrator of the deceased it will be your job to make sure that all the payments are made that are outstanding, these will be such as mortgage repayments, funeral costs, any other outstanding bills that the deceased owes.

Call us today on FREEPHONE 0800 0352653 or contact us via e-mail.